When it comes to car accidents, there are some causes that are more common than others. As an accident attorney in Grand Junction, Colorado, I want you to know some of the main causes of car accidents and how to avoid them.
- Distracted Driving: We all know that texting and driving is a bad idea; but that doesn’t mean we don’t still get distracted by our phones. Answering a call or even just a hands-free conversation with someone in the car or on the phone can be distracting. If you’re not focused on driving, but are instead focused on what’s being said to you, you could cause an accident. The same goes for eating and driving: If you’re eating, you’re paying attention to food and not to what’s happening on the road.
- Speeding: If you’re speeding, slowing down when you see an animal in the road or a car pulling out in front of you, is harder. You’re less likely to be able to stop and therefore, you’re more likely to cause an accident. Reacting to children running into the street or crossing the road is easier if you’re going slower. Slow down and pay attention.
- Drinking: Drinking and driving is a crime. Even having one drink can impair your driving and slow your reaction time. More drinks will cause you to lose focus.
- Reckless driving: Tailgating other drivers, changing lanes without checking to see if another vehicle is there, and speeding up at yellow lights or arrows is dangerous. You never know when someone is going to come to a sudden halt; if you’re following too closely you may rear end the car in front of you. If you turn or try to make it through a yellow light, you could cause an accident with traffic traveling from other lanes.
- Weather: Rain, snow and sleet can wreak havoc with traffic and the chances of being involved in accident are much greater when driving in these conditions. There are drivers who believe they can drive the same speeds as they would when roads are dry; this is not the case. When roads are wet or icy, it’s more difficult to stop and turning can cause your vehicle to skid. Make sure to drive slower than you think necessary in adverse conditions.
There are many other reasons accidents happen. If you’ve been injured in an accident make sure to call an accident attorney and the police.